Saturday, July 10, 2010

Someone Who Mattered

I interrupt my regularly scheduled comments on the LeBrocalypse to talk about something completely different. I sometimes think about my future way down the road; where my life might end up, and what I might do when I'm done doing....whatever it is I end up doing. And, when my life is over, if I can at all be like Bob Hanes, who died recently of liver cancer in Eugene, I hope the good Lord allows me to pass with a smile on my face, because it will be deserved.

(Please note what I'm about to write is solely my perspective on this man's life.)

I've spent three high school football seasons as a line coach for South Eugene in my young adult life. They were challenging, they were rewarding, and they were educational. At the end of each season, I was amazed it was over. At the end of each season, I didn't think I could ever do it again. I saw kids change so much over a 10-11 week span that I didn't want to have to replace those images and memories with new ones. But I know I'm not alone, and I know I'm not special.

Bob Hanes invigorated the South Eugene Athletic Department with his enthusiasm and creepy smirk/smile for nearly as long as I've been alive. That emotional ride I just talked about? Yeah, he went through that for decades. I watched him chuckle when he saw the aftermath of my freshman initiation. He tried in vain to teach the 14 year old me a one-step drop. I caved to his peer pressure and threw shot even though I was terrible. He stood by my side when I sang the national anthem and nearly soiled myself. I watched him help troubled kids in the area learn how to pole vault--one of the single-most terrifying athletic events I could envision (bear in mind I've weighed a lot my entire life), and sat astounded at his saintly patience with mentally and physically challenged people in the South Eugene community as he allowed them to help him clean up pads around the football field on late, foggy nights. He helped me facilitate Hurricane Katrina fundraisers when I was in law school. These were all the things I knew for a fact about Bob Hanes.

This is the legend of Bob Hanes: He was a baker. He operated a vintage vinyl store in Portland, and amassed an immaculate musical collection in his garage. He partied with Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys. He allegedly smoked Steve Prefontaine out before races during Pre's hey-day. These were all the things I came to know or learn about Coach Hanes; about how he lived a textured life.

And here's the best part about Bob Hanes: He had a loving wife. He had three sons. He had six grandkids. And when he was informed 18 months ago that he had an aggressive form of liver cancer, he told those lumps to suck it. Hanes coached pole vault at meets with a chemo pump strapped to his hip and an IV stuck in his chest. His laid back and chill demeanor belied his "f*ck you" determination.

Hanes once made fun of me for my inability to text like the kids. He also showed, without ever making a big deal about it, what it means to be a man.

I'll write about LeBron in a little bit, but for now, I'll write about a guy who never left town. A guy who gave of himself all the way to the end. A true King.

Coach Hanes, ya done good. Now we all know that they play the Beach Boys in Heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment